Wednesday 29 August 2012

Strauss announces retirement

England Test captain Andrew Strauss has announced his retirement from professional cricket with immediate effect.
The 35-year-old Middlesex and England opening batsman - who led England to two Ashes victories and to the top of the Test rankings - is retiring after 14 years in the professional game.
Strauss will be replaced as Test captain by Alastair Cook who will also continue to lead the one day side.
Strauss made his England debut in a one day international against Sri Lanka in 2003 and was awarded his Test cap a year later in 2004 against New Zealand scoring a century on debut. The England opener has gone on to win 100 Test caps captaining the side in 50 of those Tests, 124 ODI caps and four T20 caps in an international career that has spanned eleven years. He has scored 21 Test centuries and six ODI centuries.
Andrew Strauss said: "After much thought over the last few weeks, I have decided to step down as England Test Captain and announce my retirement from all forms of cricket. It has clearly been a tough decision to make, but I believe that it is both in the best interests of the England cricket team and myself to step down at this stage.
"There are too many people who have helped me on this incredible journey to mention them all by name, but I would like to thank all the Middlesex and England players I have played alongside, as well as the phenomenal coaches and support staff with whom I have been fortunate enough to work. Particular mention has to go to Andy Flower and Duncan Fletcher in that regard. It would also be remiss of me not to thank Middlesex County Cricket Club, the ECB and the PCA for their support and guidance over the years.
"No one can play international cricket for any length of time without having an incredibly strong support network around them, and I would like to take this opportunity to thank my family for going through it all alongside me over the course of my England career.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment